Time stretches like the slugs that cover the ground, inching towards the inevitable future. I don’t move. I can’t move. I shouldn’t.
There’s a slug on the back of my hand, and I want to peel it off. I can imagine doing it. Seeing it stretch, sticking to my skin like a band-aid. But I don’t. And I don’t scrape it off, or burn it with a cigarette or put salt on it or cut off its head with a pair of scissors or any of the myriad of things you’re supposed to do to kill them. I don’t do anything. I just lay there and feel it move. Slowly.
The slug is not really cold. Or maybe my hands are colder. They should be by now, the dew has settled in and I can feel the moisture forming in my lashes. I’m not crying. Of course I’m not. That would mean making a sound, and I can’t do that either. That’s as bad as moving. Maybe worse.
The sun will be up soon though, and that will be better. I hope. At least then I can see what the sounds are. The ones that surrounds me. It’s too dark to see anything. I’m sure my mind is turning a bad situation worse. It’s probably not someone sobbing over by the apple tree. After all if it was a person, they’d be quiet. Like me. And it might just be a fox that makes that screeching sound in a distance. They don’t sound like dogs, right?
I miss dogs.
I miss the moon as well, and the stars. Even with the lights out like now, you used to be able to see things. At least enough to guess the shape of the world. I think there’s something next to me, on the other side of the bush. Something huge. Maybe it’s a car, but I can’t smell any gasoline. Maybe it’s one of them.
But I don’t move, just to be sure and the slug that crawls over my hand is too slow to really matter. The sobbing has stopped now. Maybe it was just a bird after all. That sound of… wet. That wasn’t anything I heard. I was probably just dreaming. There was no crunching. I should be happy that it’s quiet now. And that the thing next to me is not moving. Maybe it’s a rock. No. That was what we all thought. But rocks aren’t safe. Not since the moon went away.
I miss the moon.The sun is still here. I hope. Or maybe it got eaten too. Chased down. I didn’t see it happen. Nobody did. Not really. Maybe it didn’t. Maybe the nights have just been dark. Maybe the lights have just gone out. Maybe the people have just gone away somewhere. Or maybe they are just like me. Afraid to move. Slowly turning ourselves to stone.
It’s better that way.
And I plan to give to you for this my most favorite month of the year
31 gruesome and ghastly ghoulish tales.
Many of us here in the tumblrverse have been using the tag octoberhorror for a couple of years now. I hope more of you will join us and tag any and all dark and disturbing works with the tag octoberhorror so we can all share a few good chills and thrills this Halloween season.
Collection of the Creepiest and the Weirdest Wikipedia Pages
I’ve seen quite a few similar posts floating around, so here’s one with some pages that weren’t included in the others. Just as all these posts go, do not read if you are easily disturbed or triggered. Some of these are extremely graphic.
Crimes & Killers:
The Vampire Rapist
The Hi-Fi Murders
Hello Kitty Murder
Murder of James Bulger
Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs (3 Guys 1 Hammer)
The Vampire of Sacramento
The Little Girl Murderer
Murder of Tim McLean
The Boy in the Box
Murder of Shanda Sharer
Strip Search Phone Call Scam
Rape of Nanking
Hoeryong Concentration Camp
Jimmy Carter UFO Incident
Rosalia LombardoWeeping Statue
Exorcism of Anneliese Michel
The Superman Curse
EctoplasmKuchisake-Onna (Slit Mouthed Woman)
Salish Sea Human Foot Discoveries
Green Children of Woolpit
Devil’s Tramping Ground
Pope Lick Monster
The Toxic Lady
Youngest MotherBrain Eating Amoeba
Locked In Syndrome
Stanford Prison Experiment
Pit of Despair
Genie the Feral Child
Conspiracies & Stories:
The Licked Hand
New World Order Conspiracy
Killer in the Backseat
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Boy Scout Lane
New City Village
The Clinton Body Count
Denver International Airport Conspiracy
The Station Nightclub Fire
Mongolian Death Worm
List of Unusual Deaths
Being Buried Alive
Daycare Sex Abuse Hysteria
A Serbian Film
120 Days of Sodom
Human Corpse Soap
If anyone needs some creepy story inspiration, what with Halloween coming up :)
Want more writerly content? Make sure to follow maxkirin.tumblr.com for your daily dose of writer positivity, advice, and prompts!
|—||H.P. Lovecraft (via justinpoole)|
Some of the new and/or (at the time :P) under-read writers I tagged from the beginning of this month:
Others untagged too probably.
Happy reading :-)
|—||Mark Twain (via seabois)|
[Updated 02/12/14] Here is an amazing list of other Tumblr writing community pages/projects/tags that work hard to expose readers to great writing. Find new writers to read, discover talented people to interact with, find new readers to share your work with. Please contact us if you are affiliated with a TWC focused blog, and would like to be added to this list, (or if you need something updated). You can always find this list by checking the links bar on the Burning Muse page.
TWC Writer’s Databases
- TWC Writer Bios: Directory of Tumblr Writer bio pages.
- Breaking Down The Wall: Tumblr writer interviews.
- Tumblr Writer’s List: SO MANY WRITERS!
- Tumblr Writers Directory: Directory of Tumblr writing blogs. (Also reblogs and Blog reviews)
Reblog Blogs (special focus/features will be notated)
- TWC Welcome Center: Community. Answers questions.
- For The Voiceless: Lesser known TWC writers. Fresh Talent.
- Exhaling Catalysts
- Seduced By Ink: We reblog lesser known or newer writers who are struggling to find an audience.
- The Writer’s Bloc: Advice. Prompts.
- Tumblr Fiction: Fiction. Prompts. Interviews.
- The Stay Golden Poets: Feedback on Fridays.
- The Reject’s Corner
- For The Tagless: Takes submissions.
- The Adept Writer: Takes submissions.
- The Poetry Revolution: Prompts. Forms.
- Tumblr Writers Directory: Directory of Tumblr writing blogs.
- Alterlife Press: Leans towards Alt Lit.
- Poetry Sluts United: Sensual and erotic prose/poetry.
- Monday Muse: Contests.
- We Write We Speak: Discussion topics.
- You In Second Person
- For The Love Of Literature
- Beyond The Barricades: Socially aware writing. Revolutionary words.
- Home For Writers: Critiques. (May be inactive or on leave.)
- Stephen Kennedy: Takes requests for critiques.
- Critical Inking
- The Stay Golden Poets: Feedback on Fridays (not sure if they’re still doing feedback).
- Tumblr Writers Directory: Blog Reviews
- Home For Writers: (May be inactive or on leave.)
- Tag: #The Feedback Project: [Keep in mind, giving makes receiving more likely.]
- Tag: #Poetryintheraw: [Keep in mind, giving makes receiving more likely.]
TWC Groups and Projects, other than reblog blogs
- Liminal Words and Temporary Worlds: Suffering from Tumblr burnout? Thinking about deactivating? Try here first!
- Leave You A Pen: Accepts poetry submissions, but please check his submission guidelines. Submissions are not always open.
Stories And Struggles: Our blog is dedicated to the human condition, we accept all forms of original writing/art/music and the purpose of our page is to connect people through similar interests and experiences.
- Polkadodge Oragnization
- Fuck Yeah Slam Poems!: Slam Poetry. Spoken Word.
- The New Library: “The New Library is a collection of works that attempt to explore the art of writing, youth, the human condition, and the absurdity of existence with an earnest voice; with our tongues removed from our cheeks.”
- Writers Confessions: Your Writer Confessions.
- Fiveminutestory: Five minuets to tell a story. Challenge yourself!
- #twcp: If you have a project that you would like to share with the community, please include this tag. (Note: This is for project descriptions. Not personal writing.)
- #twcplagiarism: If someone re-posts your work without credit (please give the person a few days to fix their “mistake” before posting a link to their blog).
- #twctips: If you have a platform/formatting tip that might be helpful to the community, please include this tag. (Note: this is not meant for opinion pieces.)
- #twccsurvivetumblr: If you would like to write a post with tips on how new writers can “Survive Tumblr” please title it: How to Survive the Tumblr Writing Community. It can be positive, negative, or neutral… and include this tag. Please see the posts already up as examples.
- #Tumblr Birthday: If you want to share that it’s your blog’s birthday.
- #Spilled Ink: LEGACY: No longer “active”, but still monitored by most reblog blogs.
- #SpilledinkProse: LEGACY: No longer “active”, but still monitored by most reblog blogs.
- #Writing About Writing: Writing about… writing.
- #Writing About Tumblr: Writing about… Tumblr.
- #TWCcollab [For collaboration pieces]
Tumblr Book Collections
- TWC Bookshelf: Books written by writers in the TWC. We welcome you to submit your books.
- Books by Writers on Tumblr owned by NoelleLit Mag/Book Associated Blogs [current or future]:
- Yeahwriters: Prompts. Lit Mags list. Critiques.
- Velvetblory: Publication. Accepts submission. Quarterly book.
- The London Mag: Prompts and inspirations. Associated with The London Magazine [Not Verified].
- A Literation: Lit Mag run by Tumblr writers, publishing Tumblr writers.
- YARN: The Young Adult Review Network
- Noisemaker Magazine
- Literari Magazine: Tumblr blog for literatimag.com
- Episodic Literary Magazine
- The Altar Collective: The Altar Collective is a literary collective publishing a monthly book of flash fiction and poetry from contributors internationally; it main objective is to act as a stepping stone for young and aspiring writers.
Tumblr Platform Tips
|—||Ray Bradbury (via wishbonesandwanderlust)|
|—||Fyodor Dostoevsky (via k4nt)|
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
~ H.P. Lovecraft